Jun 28, 2022
Good evening, friends!
Are you ready to schedule your IG Reels? The API is now open to all! Instagram is also continuing its trend of updates that make the app more creator-friendly. They’ve recently announced new features like Creator Marketplace and expanded testing of NFT displays.
And could TikTok be a search engine? Many users already see it as one. But how can you make sure your videos are being seen by the right people? I’ve got some tips below on how to best produce TikTok videos and how to grow your audience on every social media platform.
Below is the rundown for this week:
- Meta is finally opening up its API for Instagram Reels
- New creator updates on Instagram nod to growth in web3
- Could TikTok be a search engine? For many users, it already is
- Best practices for producing TikTok videos
- 7 tips to grow your audience on every social media platform
- NFT(dot)NYC was a lackluster conference salvaged by underground meetups and hidden gems
That’s all for now, folks. Stay creative and be sure to keep an open mind — you never know where inspiration will strike.
Editor | The SAUCE
The latest social media news, stories, and updates we’re keeping a pulse on.
Finally — Meta opens API for Instagram Reels
If you’ve ever wanted to schedule your IG Reels or view your Reels activity and analytics from a third-party platform (in our case, Sprout Social), now you can!
Meta just announced that it’s opening up its API for Instagram Reels starting tomorrow. This means third-party platforms (like the one mentioned above) will be able to do things like schedule Reels and capture engagement data. You won’t have to rely solely on the Instagram app for Reels anymore. Yay!
What’s an API? An application programming interface (API) is like a door that enables platforms to communicate with one another. This is Meta’s version of giving Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Hubspot, and others a key to its apartment. Now with this update, platforms can walk in (with permission, of course) and access what they need to — straight from the source.
The open API makes it easier on creators who use social management platforms to view and create dashboards or schedule content from various channels — all in one place.
New creator updates on Instagram nod to growth in web3
Mark Zuckerberg last week announced a range of new creator monetization updates with a special focus on metaverse and web3-aligned initiatives. As a creator, here’s what to keep an eye on:
- More people are about to be included in Instagram’s test of NFT displays
- ICYMI, last week Meta rolled out the “Meta Avatars Store,” taking a page from Fortnite, Roblox, and even the Sims
- A new Creator Marketplace on IG where creators can get discovered for partnerships
- Reels Play Bonus program is expanding to more creators on Facebook (allowing creators to cross-post IG Reels to FB and monetize on both apps)
- Facebook Stars creator donation program is expanding to all eligible creators
- Meta also notes that it will hold off on implementing any revenue share processes on Facebook and Instagram until 2024, which means that creators will be able to claim 100% of any funds raised via Events, Subscriptions, Badges, and Facebook Bulletin.
Could TikTok be a search engine? For many users, it already is
“A new generation of web users is utilizing TikTok as a search engine. What does that mean for marketers and publishers? TikTok was spotted testing a new search feature, raising questions about its viability as a search engine…
For marketers, it’s time to consider responding to the demand for short-form video by adding it to your content strategy.
The demand for TikTok-like content isn’t about to slow down any time soon, and support for the format from Google and other tech giants is at an all-time high.”
the secret sauce
Best practices for producing TikTok videos
Influencer Marketing Hub recently updated their video production best practices guide with more details for creating on TikTok. Here are a few of my favorite highlights:
- Contrary to YouTube, TikTok is mainly focused on “lower quality” real-life short videos
- An amazing platform for quick, funny, quirky videos that can do wonders for several CPG-type programs
- TikTok content is cheaper on average compared to longer-form platforms
- Quantity can sometimes be the right option over quality depending on the campaign
Best practices for video on TikTok:
7 tips to grow your audience on every social media platform
In a handy infographic, the team from Giraffe Social Media shared key tips for growing your audience on every channel. Here’s a quick summary:
- Repackage and repurpose
- Steal like an artist
- Trends are your friend
- FAQs can be content
- Get social on social
- Collaborate everywhere
- Get a newsletter
NFT.NYC was a lackluster conference salvaged by underground meetups and hidden gems
Referred to as “The Super Bowl in the NFT space,” NFT.NYC stormed the city of New York last week. In all of its marketing efforts, NFT.NYC billed itself as a premier web3 & NFT events for 2022. And wow, was it…. not.
While the conference itself was a let-down in almost every way (from the lackluster venue, to the non-existent expo hall, to the lack of standout panels in participation), the real value was found in the form of underground NFT meetups happening all over the city.
From meetups hosted in intimate settings to sprawling exhibitions that took over an entire floor of venues, there was something for everyone who ventured off the beaten path.